Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Musings of a H-D Addict

I know people who ride Harley-Davidson motorcycles who have a badge that says, "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

That phrase was probably created by some advertising guy in New York or Milwaukee who dresses in black with a little ponytail.  Harley-Davidson spends millions of dollars a year paying that advertising guy to come up with expressions like that.  Some are great, but some are so overblown that even devotees cringe. In truth, the American appreciation of subtlety and understatement means that most of them lean towards "cringe"!  In this particular case, though, that advertising guy seems to have summed up Harley-Davidson pretty well.

What I get out of the phrase is that Harley-Davidson fills a need, a need that sometimes we don't even know we have until then.  And how do I describe a solution for a need that doesn't exist for you?

What I hope to do with this blog, in a round-about sort of way, is talk about that need.  I might write about what Harley-Davidson means to me.  Or maybe why it has to be Harley rather than some other brand of motorcycle.  Or even my version of the Harley-Davidson experience, because I suspect that the Harley experience is different, often in small ways, for each of us.

I won't try to explain, but maybe by touching random elements, I might shine a bit of light on the road.  Along the way, you might meet some great characters (or character types), hear about some great motorcycle rides and places, and endure thoughts that occur to me while riding, about riding, or watching others ride.

It might be that nobody out there reads this stuff.  If so, that's life.  But if you do happen to tune in, let me know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment