Thursday, September 23, 2010

Why buy a stereo if you don’t listen to music?

I know people, more than a few, who have a Harley and don’t ride it much.  I’ve never been able to understand that.

I bought my second Harley, a ’94 Fat Boy, in 2003, with less than 4,000 kilometres (2500 miles) on the clock.  When I traded it, six and a half years later, for a Road King, it had 160,000 kilometres (100, 000 miles) on the clock and had seen a whole lot of Australia.  I’m nothing special, I just love to ride.

I know that from time to time, life gets in the way of doing things we enjoy.  Most of us have to work.  Many have family issues, good and bad, that arise and must be dealt with.  Most of us will have health issues – our own or others – that override just about everything else.

These things happen and can pull us away from what we enjoy.  I’m not talking about them.  What I’m talking about are those who outlay a lot of money for a H-D and then don’t use it.  In Australia, that can be over $15K (USD12,500) for a Sportster, or $32K (USD27K) for a Softail.

I’ve heard some people say that if you ride it too much you lose resale value.  Strikes me that you could save a whole lot more by not buying one in the first place.

I’ve heard others say that they just don’t get time, what with golf, or sailing, or whatever.

Now, it’s not up to me to judge anyone’s right to do whatever they want with their time, or to use their Harley-Davidson in any way they see fit.

I just don’t understand some people.  That’s all.


No comments:

Post a Comment