Saturday, August 13, 2011

Partners

My wife doesn't enjoy my bike.  Don't get me wrong, she loves me and is happy that I enjoy it, but she's not really keen to get on the back.

I even went to the trouble of investing in a ladies' riding jacket to spur her interest.  You know the kind - multiple vents and panels, bar-and-shield embroidered on it, and even studded with diamantes.  She loves the jacket but is still no closer to waking up early on Sunday morning with an excited, "Let's go for a ride!".

One friend's wife calls his Harley "his lame hobby", while another, who is a nurse, insists on constantly telling him how dangerous motorbikes are. (Yeah.  Like that will stop him!)

That attitude seems to be common among wives and girlfriends of guys who ride Harleys. .I can only imagine that it's even worse for guys who ride other brands.

But it's not the only attitude out there.

Some put up with it because their man enjoys it.   (I've only once encountered the reverse).

I know wives who enjoy the whole Harley experience so much that they are going through the whole process of learning to ride, holding a restricted licence for up to three years, and riding a small Japanese bike before buying their own Harley.

Still others credit Harley-Davidson with having breathed new life into their marriage by giving them new adventures and a brand new circle of friends they can both enjoy.

Of course, some riders prefer to keep their Harley to themselves, an experience they don't have to share.

There's no right or wrong here, but if you intend to use your Harley for its intended purpose - covering lots of miles - you'll be better off if you have a partner who understands and accepts what we get from riding.

Or expect a rough ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment